Spiritual Eyesight



Some years ago while driving I notice that the road signs were blurring  but I didn’t think much about it at the moment.  I thought it would pass but it didn’t. I made an appointment with an optometrist and for the first time in my life, I needed glasses.  When I received my first pair, I was amazed at how much better I could see. Now every year I have my eyes checked.
As I was reading Psalms 119 again this morning, there were some verses that jumped out at me that I want to share about seeing.

v. 18 “Open my eyes that I may see wondrous things from your law.”

Psalm 119 has lots to say about the Word of God.

For example; Walking in the word, seeking the Word, keeping the Word, taking heed to the Word, hiding the Word in the heart, declaring the Word, meditating on the Word, being revived by the Word and that is just a few things about God’s Word in Psalms 119.  But unless we can see with spiritual eyes, all of it is just words on a paper. Our pray should always be, Lord open my eyes that I might see you through your Word.
v. 37 “Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things.”

Matthew Henry says, “Turn away my eyes from beholding vanity. The honors, pleasures, and profits of the world are the vanities, the aspect and prospect of which draw multitudes away from the paths of religion and godliness. The eye, when fastened on these, infects the heart with the love of them, and so it is alienated from God and divine things; and therefore, as we ought to make a covenant with our eyes, and lay a charge upon them, that they shall not wander after, much less fix upon, that which is dangerous so we ought to pray that God by his providence would keep vanity out of our sight and that by his grace he would keep us from being enamored with the sight of it. “

v.123 “My eyes fail from seeking your salvation and your righteous word. “

What a way to lose our eye sight. Seeking God’s Word for our salvation. Though our eyes fail, yet God’s Word does not, and therefore those that build upon it, though now discouraged, shall in due time see his salvation.

How well do you see the Word of God?  Is it just paper with ink on it, or does it reveal things about God to you?  Is it time for a visit to your spiritual optometrist?  You might be surprised what you can see after your visit.  

The Bible is full of things to see if we look for them.



Comments