It's Sunrise




I am reporting  from just outside the city, on a hill called Golgotha, “the place of the skull”  were criminals are being put to death by crucifixion!   I can see in the distance the three crosses.  I can hear the cries of the mourners!  I can hear the soldiers as they mocked and beat the one in the middle!  I just saw one pierce His side with a spear.  Just at that very moment, I heard a voice cry out, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” 

Wait! I can now see one as He put something  on a sponge and offered it to the one who cried out.  I could tell that the one they called Jesus was in a real battle.  What I didn’t  know at the time, I found out later, that it was for the souls of all of mankind.  Then I heard Him cry out again, “Father into your hands I commit my spirit!” Then He died!  The day Jesus died was an awful day.  When He cried out, “It is finished,” with a loud voice things began to happen.   

Luke described the day as “Darkness over all the earth, and the sun was darkened.”   Matthew says, “The earth quaked and the rocks were split,” so much that graves were opened.  The vail of the temple was torn open.  The battle for sin was almost over.  I say almost because  it will not be over until Sunrise!  What a night It was.

Matthew Henry wrote, “This loud voice shows that he attacked our spiritual enemies with an undaunted courage, and in this loud voice he did, as it were, shout for mastery, as one mighty to save.”

Then as the crowd began to depart, I saw some people go to the cross that was in the middle and take the body down, It was the one they called Jesus. I followed them.  They took the body to a tomb and placed Him inside and rolled a big stone over the opening to seal it.

Because of the earthquake and the darkness, I was afraid for my life because I didn’t know what was happening!  I was so overcome with fear, I thought I would lay down on the hillside to rest a little before I could make my way home, but I fell asleep, and the next thing I knew the sun was coming up.

As I started home, I saw a women coming up the trail that lead to the tomb were Jesus was placed. Then the earth began to shake, and the earth shook again, and I saw an angel roll the stone away. The guards shook with fear and looked like they were dead. I knew how they felt. But I didn’t let my fear get the best of me.
As I looked, I could see the tomb was opened. Then I saw two men bright as any light, setting outside the tomb.  As I made my way closer, I heard one of them say to the ladies, “Do not be afraid, for I know you seek Jesus who was crucified.  He is not here.  Come see the place where He laid.”

As I stood there spell bound, my mind began to come alive. I remembered the scrolls I had read from the writers of old, that had described the death and resurrection that I was witnessing!

The sunrise had come in more than one way. My spiritual darkness was gone and I could see clearly that Jesus loved me.  It was done, it was finished, and Christ had won. He was risen!  

He gives grace and love to all who will accept Him as Lord of their life.  Love has triumphed over death forever.

The Sun (Son) has come up and He is Lord! Let us walk in His sunlight!

Comments