Are You Listening?

A few days ago I was awakened at 2:30 a.m. by the sound of my dog barking. I lay there trying to go back to sleep, but because of his insistent barking I was unable to. You would think that he would know what time it was and that it was the wrong time of the day to be making noise! I lay there for while and I got to wondering what he was barking at. Could it be a bear or some other animal? There have been some sightings of a bear around. So I got out of the bed, got dressed and made my way down the stairs and out the door. Here I was at 2:45 a.m. out in the yard just to see why my dog was barking.

No gun or any other thing in my hands to fight a bear with, had there been a bear. Smart, right?

Well, I called Shadow to me and got onto him for waking me up. About that time I heard way off in the distant another dog barking. Shadow's ears went up and he wanted to respond but I stopped him. I put him in the basement and then back in the house.

Now I was wide awake and knew that I would have a hard time going back to sleep. Not wanting to disturb Pallie Sue, I sat down in the recliner and thought I would pray for a while. I got to thinking (I know, that’s dangerous but I did it anyhow...) about listening and hearing. Pallie Sue sometimes would be talking to me, and after she talks for a while she would say,"Are you listening to me?" She knows I am not deaf and that I can hear her, but I was not listening to her.

Webster says "to hear is to perceive by ear." He says to listen "is to make effort to hear something."

Mark Twain said: " If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have two mouths and one ear." Boy! That’s something to think about, right?

So here I was at 3:00 a.m. and the Lord was teaching me a lesson about hearing and listening. He seemed to say to me, "There is a lesson in this for you." So I waited while the Lord was talking to me.

Here are some of the things He seemed to say: "Darrell, I know you hear Me but you don’t always listen when I talk. You could get many more blessings from Me if you would listen to Me more. You could keep from so many messes if you would listen to Me more. I may not always tell you what you want to hear but I will always answer you."

I sat there for awhile thinking about all of this and He seemed to say to me, "Are you listening?"

I said, "Yes, Lord." So He said, "Then get up and go to bed!" I did, and slept like a baby.

I plan to listen more how about you?

Comments