Without Him

These past days a scripture has been running through my head. So I did a little word study that you might be interested in.
John 15:5. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in Him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”
This scripture kept going through my head and I wondered what lesson the Lord was trying to teach me or what sermon I needed to develop around it.

While I was wondering about this scripture, Pallie Sue and I were transplanting some flowers that we had gotten from Carlton's house. I was using a shovel digging the holes as Pallie Sue would point out the spot where she wanted it. I looked at the shovel and said, “Dig!” Do you know that it just stayed right I had put it?

This last week at the school, we were knocking down block and brick walls for remodeling purposes. There were several sledge hammers and shovels we were using. I gave the same command to them and they to just set there. The lesson I was getting was the same in both places. Without a human these tools were useless. They were not designed to work by themselves! Even computers will not work without input from mankind.

Neither are we designed to work by ourselves! Jesus Himself said He couldn’t work without the Father.
John 5:19. “Most assuredly I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.”
Let's read verse 30:
“I can of myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent me.”
If Jesus couldn’t do anything without the Father, how can we ever hope to accomplish anything without Him?

It wasn’t until I took those tools into my hands that they were able to accomplish something. Just so, until we are willing to place ourselves into the hands of the Master we can't do anything.

Acts 17:28 says,
“For in Him we live and move and have our being.”
It’s when we place ourselves into His hand and into His will that we can be of any use to Him. “Without Him we can do nothing.” Let’s not take a lifetime to learn this.

There is a song that Mylon Lefevre wrote that says it all, I think:
Without him I could do nothing
and without him I’d surely fail.
Without him I would be drifting
like a ship without a sail.

Comments