Flying the Flag

Since that awful day of September 11th, I’ve seen more of the American flag than I had seen in all of my life. Not long ago the only place one could see the flag most of the time was either at the Post Office or other government buildings. Oh...and at a sports event! Now all you have to do is take a drive or a walk and it won’t take you long to count several dozen. Why, just this morning on the way to school I counted at least four dozen. I saw it on cars and homes in every shape and form. I saw people wearing it on their clothes. I saw it in store windows. I saw it on bumper stickers. Everwhere I looked, I saw it waving proudly.

I have heard a country song that has words about our flag. It goes like this:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
’Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land. God bless the USA.

Yes, our flag is flying proudly today as we face an enemy that would like to take our freedom from us. (Let’s pray for our president and other leaders as we pursue this enemy.)

I suppose the pledge has been repeated more these last weeks than any other time in our history. The words carry valuable meaning to them.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of Americia and to the republic for which it stands. One Nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

When I see the flag waving in the breeze, it makes me proud to be an American. When we see it, we know that it stands for liberty and justice for all. When I think of all that has happened, it has made me aware that our nation has had a revival of patriotism. That has produced a unity that we have needed for a long time.

As I was thinking about all of this, a thought came to me. What if every Christian in America were to fly the Christian flag along side the American flag? Think about it! Driving down the road one could see the Christian flag on homes and cars. In store windows. Lapel pens in the form of the Christian flag. The Christian flag flying beside our national flag. I wonder if it would turn people's hearts toward God? I wonder if we would see a spiritual revival in our land? God grant that it might happen. What a great opportunity we have these days as Christians.

God told Jeremiah in chapter 51: 27 "Set up a standard (flag) in the land, blow the trumpet among the nations."

Could this be applied to our day?

Think of the pledge to the Christian flag and what it means.

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Saviour for whose kingdom it stands. One Saviour, crucified, risen, and coming again, with life and liberty for all who believe."

The pledge is a sermon itself. One Saviour’s kingdom. One Saviour who shed His blood. One Saviour who was crucifed. One Saviour risen.One Saviour with life and liberty. One Saviour coming again for all who believe.

Let's wave our flags high.

Let's be proud to be Christian Americans!

Comments