Things Talk to Me

Things talk to me. No, really they do. No, I haven't lost my mind yet.

For instance, I was in the bean patch the other day and I had picked one row and was about half-way down another one when I decided to give my back a little rest by stretching it. I thought I would walk down to the end of the garden and back to rest it. (I mean, my back was already threatening to take me to court for abuse.)

On the way back to the bucket, there was a nice plump bean on the very row that I had already picked and it said to me, "You missed me!"

My back said to me, "That one bean isn't worth you abusing me any more."

Well, the bean won out and I picked it.

Don't think I have gone over the edge. You have had things talk to you too. Yes, you have, too! Don't deny it.

I remember when I was a child, the balls always talked to me. It would say, "Either kick me, or throw me, or bounce me..." When is the last time you read a good book and you had to put it down to go do something else? All the time that book was calling out to you, "Come on back and finish me. Let that other stuff go. We are just getting to the good part. Please hurry!"

Have you ever read the story of Balaam's donkey in the book of Numbers, chapter 22 where the donkey talked to Balaam? Look at verse 28. "Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, 'What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?'" Well, if the donkey talked to Balaam, then why can't things talk to us?

I think you see what I am talking about, don't you? Things do talk to us... Right? Sometimes there are so many things talking to us to do them that we don't know which one to do first. Most of the time we whatever is yelling the loudest.

There is a voice, way back in the background that is always talking to us, and it may not always be the loudest but it is the most important one. That's the voice of the Lord. It is so important, that we must not let the other voices cause us to miss His voice.

"Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip." --Hebrews 2:1

Comments