Lessons from the Scissortails

What is that Scissortail doing? If he's not careful he will get caught in my reel!

I was pulling a 12 foot reel mower on the main football field, and this crazy Scissortail bird kept darting down right behind the reel. As I watched it, I became aware that it was feeding on the bugs that the reel was flushing up as I mowed. Then I became aware that there was more than one. There were five or six that were taking advantage of what I was doing. (I wonder if I should get a tip for feeding them? Would 15% be about right? I mean, after all, I am doing a good job. No, thanks! I'll pass.)

As I watched and mowed, I began to wonder about the birds. I noticed their beauty and grace as they darted in and out. I noticed that the males were a brighter color than the female. Only God could make such beautiful creatures. No artist could match their color. Mankind has come a long way in building airplanes but I don't think that there is one that can do in the air what these little birds can do. I don't think the Blue Angels could put on a show like what these Scissortails were doing. They looked like jet bombers, darting in and out, scraping the ground, catching the little grasshoppers and moths in midair. They were fun to watch.

As I continued on, I thought of the scripture that says... well, let me read it. Matthew 6:26, "Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" Now the point of this text is, "Are you not of more value than they?" Wow! God cares for us! You say, "Duh! That's not anything new." Well, if it's not anything new, why do we sometimes act like God isn't concerned with things in our lives? I mean, after all, the human race is only God's most treasured creation.

"Said the robin to the sparrow,
'I should really like to know,
why these anxious human beings
rush about and worry so.'

Said the sparrow to the robin,
'Friend, I think that it must be
that they have no Heavenly Father
such as cares for you and me.'"

Comments